Subject Area: Reference and Instructional Services
Description of Position:
Langara Library is seeking a Librarian who is team-oriented, innovative, and has a strong commitment to customer service. Librarians work in a collegial environment to develop and implement services, policies, and collections to meet the College’s educational goals. The successful candidate will possess excellent communication, interpersonal, leadership, and organizational skills. The position requires a high degree of flexibility and openness to change.
This Librarian position provides leadership in creating and updating interactive instructional materials. This position will teach library classes, serve as a liaison to several instructional departments and provide reference services. This position is also responsible for the administration of the Library’s social media content.
Consider applying if you have a strong commitment to library instruction and assessment as well as an aptitude for working with emerging technologies.
The successful candidate will:
• Develop instructional materials including library guides, instructional videos, tutorials in Langara’s course management system
• Update the online library tutorials, and act as lead on issues/developments in the D2L course management system
• Plan and teach research skills classes
• Administer the Library’s social media activities
• Provide reference services, including virtual reference
• Serve as a liaison to and develop relationships with instructional and College departments
• Participate in collection development relevant to liaison areas
• Participate in developing an engaging and effective user experience in the Library
• A Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program in library or information science
• 2 years of instruction and reference work in an academic setting preferred
• Demonstrated ability to provide leadership in the development and delivery of a creative, effective, and engaging instructional program
• Experience working with online course management systems such as D2L
• Experience developing online instructional content, including the use of applications such as Adobe Captivate
• Demonstrated expertise with social media required; administration experience an asset
• Excellent ability to communicate library research and technical concepts clearly and effectively, both verbally and in writing
• Proven ability to learn, apply and exploit emerging technologies in library user services
• Ability to determine and respond to needs of diverse user groups
• Working knowledge of print, electronic and Internet resources for a wide variety of disciplines
• Experience in subject liaison work including collection development
• Demonstrated computer/technology competency
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
• Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Ability to manage a wide range of responsibilities in a timely manner
• Commitment to developing professional knowledge and skills on a continuing and ongoing basis
Length of Appointment: Aug 20, 2012 to Aug 23, 2013
Start Date: Aug 20, 2012
Salary Range: Salary placement is on Langara instructors’ salary scale in accordance with qualifications and experience.
Employee Group: LFA
Competition No.: F030-12
Application Information: To apply, please visit our website at www.langara.bc.ca and select “Employment Opportunities”. Please submit your resume and cover letter no later than 4:30pm of the closing date.
For further information regarding this opportunity, please contact Patricia Cia, Department Chair at email@example.com
Deadline: July 15, 2012